The term "human grade" can be misleading. Human grade does not just apply to the source of an ingredient, but also to the entire supply chain. Obviously human grade ingredients must be sourced from human grade suppliers. However, they must also be transported in trucks that are exclusively used to transport human foods. They must be warehoused in warehouses exclusively designated for human foods. They must be blended and packaged in certified human food facilities. If a "human grade" ingredient leaves the human food supply chain (is transported in a non certified truck for example), it is no longer considered human grade. It cannot re-enter the human food supply chain and it can no longer be sold as fit for human consumption. In other words, if a pet food company buys a "human grade" ingredient, then brings it into its pet food facility, that ingredient is no longer considered human grade. Pet food companies often claim that their products contain human grade ingredients. Typically this means that they have purchased some of their ingredients from human food suppliers, but this does NOT mean that their pet foods are fit for human consumption.
Human grade supplements typically cost 5 to 10 times more than the equivalent supplement in pet grade. This increased cost is not just due to higher priced ingredients. There is a significant cost associated with the more stringent QA requirements for human foods. Pet food companies are subject to far fewer regulations or inspections than human food facilities.
HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement is 100% fit for human consumption. It contains 100% human grade ingredients that were transported by human food trucks, warehoused in human food facilities, and blended and packaged in a government regulated human food facility. Its ingredients are similar in quality to those found in name-brand human multi-vitamins such as Centrum®, One-a-Day® or Flintstone's®. HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement meets all government requirements for being sold as a human supplement in a grocery or drug store.
HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement offers excellent value for cat owners. If you want to only feed foods that are 100% fit for human consumption, HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement meets this criteria..
HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement contains high quality ingredients that are proven to be easily absorbed into the cat's body. This supplement contains TAURINE plus the following 24 essential nutrients
HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement is specifically designed, using food formulation software, to balance the home-made recipes featured in the book Complete & Balanced for Cats: 101 Healthy Home-made Meals for Cats by Hilary Watson. Its exact composition is a trade secret. The nutrient content of the supplement itself is not as important as the nutrient content of the supplement + recipes in the book. It is the supplement + recipe that the cat will consume, so it is the supplement + recipe's nutrient content that is important. Each recipe in the book provides a complete nutrient breakdown for that recipe.
Traditional vitamin mineral supplements for pets are not balanced for human food ingredients. Commercial pet supplements are designed to be fed in conjunction with commercial pet foods. Commercial pet supplements generally contain calcium and phosphorus in a 1:1 ratio because that ratio will not upset the calcium to phosphorus ratio found in commercial pet foods. Fresh meats however contain 10-30 times more phosphorus than calcium. HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement has a unique calcium to phosphorus ratio designed to offset this high phosphorus to calcium ratio in meats. Traditional vitamin mineral supplements are balanced for traditional complete and balanced commercial pet foods. Only HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement for home-made meals is scientifically formulated to balance the vitamin and mineral content of the home-made recipes in Complete & Balanced for Cats: 101 Healthy Home-made Meals for Cats by Hilary Watson.
prices, it's important to remember 3 things about HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement:
1) HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement is a human food product. It contains ingredients that are comparable in quality to those used in name-brand human supplements such as Centrum®, One-A-Day® and Flintstones®. It is blended and packaged in a human food facility. For more information on the benefits of human grade products, see above.
2) HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement contains no fillers. It is 100% active. Most pet supplements contain fillers or flavor enhancers. Read the label and check the ingredient list. The first ingredient in HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement is chicory root extract, an expensive extract which is more than 75% pre-biotic fiber. Following chicory root extract are 25 ingredients that supply taurine plus essential vitamins and minerals. There are no fillers in this supplement. Every ingredient serves a purpose and actively contributes to the health of your cat. Check the ingredient list of competitive products. Most contain several inexpensive fillers and carriers. Some pet supplements are up to 95% filler.
3) HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement is more concentrated than most supplements. The inclusion rate of HILARY'S BLEND supplement is generally 1.5-2.0% (meaning 15-20g of supplement per kilogram of prepared food). A 250g bottle will make approximately 12-15 kilograms of food which would last an average size cat about 2 months. The vitamin and mineral levels in HILARY'S BLEND supplement are very different from those of other vitamin mineral supplements. Commercial vitamin and mineral pet supplements are intended for pets being fed commercial pet foods. Virtually all commercial pet foods are formulated to meet AAFCO minimum nutrient guidelines, so they already contain all essential vitamins and minerals that a cat needs. Because many minerals and some vitamins can be toxic at high intakes, pet supplements designed to be fed in association with complete and balanced commercial pet foods must contain low enough levels of these nutrients to be safe when fed with any complete and balanced commercial pet food. For this reason, they have relatively low concentrations of most vitamins and minerals. In fact, some pet supplements are up to 95% filler. Read the ingredient list to check for fillers and flavor enhancers.
The most common allergens are proteins from meat, fish, dairy or cereal ingredients. There are no meats, fish, dairy products or cereals in HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement. The only plant ingredient in HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement is chicory root extract. This ingredient is an extract which is more than 75% inulin, a pre-biotic fiber. All of the other ingredients in the supplement are purified sources of essential vitamins and minerals. This supplement is 100% hypoallergenic, safe for cats suffering from allergic skin disease, atopy or any other allergic conditions.
HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement is 100% active. The exclusive carrier is chicory root extract, an expensive source of pre-biotic fiber. This ingredient is more than 75% inulin, a pre-biotic fiber. Pre-biotic fiber enhances intestinal health by promoting the growth of beneficial bacteria at the expense of harmful bacteria. All other ingredients in the supplement are purified, bioavailable sources of essential vitamins and minerals plus taurine. There are no fillers, no preservatives, no additives.
The carrier ingredient in this supplement provides active health benefits. Chicory root extract is more than 75% inulin, a potent fructooligosaccharide that has been proven to enhance the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut, at the expense of harmful bacteria. The benefits of this extract are supported by many published clinical trials. It helps to promote gastrointestinal health. When you are feeding fresh foods, there is a greater risk of bacterial contamination. This is particularly true of feeding raw meats, but it also holds true to a lesser degree with raw fruits and vegetables. Fresh foods are higher in moisture than dry kibble and that moisture makes it easier for bacteria to grow. Think of it this way: you can leave kibble on the counter in your kitchen for several days with no risk of bacterial growth, but if you leave fresh fruits and vegetables on your kitchen counter, they begin to spoil. So when you feed fresh foods to your cat, you have an enhanced risk of bacterial contamination vs dry kibble. One way to offset this risk is to always feed pre-biotic fiber with the cat's meals. Pre-biotic fiber will promote the growth of good bacteria in the gut and these good bacteria will crowd out the bad bacteria. Any cat being fed home-made meals will benefit from chicory root extract - a natural, no-risk way to promote healthy gut microflora.
Human pharmaceutical facilities have much higher quality control standards than pet food companies. Any product being produced for human consumption must meet government requirements for ingredient quality and for controlled blending and packaging. HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement is a human food product produced under the highest quality control standards. These standards have 4 components:
1) First, all ingredients to be used in HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement are quarantined upon their arrival at the pharmaceutical company. They are each analyzed for potency and purity before they are released from quarantine for use in the supplement.
2) Second, the blended supplement is quarantined prior to being bottled. The blended mix is sent to an independent lab and tested to ensure that it meets nutrient specifications. Once it has passed this analysis, it is then bottled.
3) Third, a few bottles are randomly sampled from each run and tested for their nutrient content, again to ensure that they meet nutrient specifications.
4) Finally, several bottles from each run are retained by both the pharmaceutical company and by HW Veterinary Nutrition Inc. to ensure that samples are available from every product run should we receive any customer complaints.
HILARY'S BLEND FOR CATS supplement is backed by a 100% money-back guarantee should you be dissatisfied in any way.